Duke of Edinburgh Award
Silver Duke of Edinburgh
The Silver Duke of Edinburgh award is the world’s leading achievement award for young people over the age of 15 founded by Prince Philip in 1956. It is a balanced programme of activities designed to develop the mind, body and soul in an environment of social interaction and team working. It encourages young people to live life as an adventure. Completing the award shows an ability to take on a range of challenges and it evidences high levels of commitment and responsibility, over a sustained period of time.
The Silver DofE Award programme will help to inspire, guide and support you in your self-development and recognise your achievements.
Where does it Lead to?
The Silver DofE Award is renowned by employers and universities for the qualities young people have who achieve award have gained along the way. It helps to enhance your UCAS, CV and job applications.
DofE is highly thought of by Universities and big businesses as it shows commitment, team building, communication, leadership and many other skills. At interviews in the future, you will be asked for examples of when you have shown these skills and DofE will give you a good solid answer.
DofE helps to enhance your self-belief, self-confidence, an independence of thought and action, and a sense of responsibility. You will gain new talents and abilities along the way which are all great for further education/ employment. You will make new friendships too and improve your ability to lead and work as part of a team, which are all valuable skills for the future.
You achieve an Award by completing a personal programme of activities in four sections:
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
- Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK.
- You must complete 1 hour a week on each activity
- If you have completed your certificate of achievement at Bronze level you can proceed directly onto the Silver award with the shorter timescales
- If you have not completed your Bronze award you can still do your Silver award, but some sections will need to be completed over a longer time
Key Contact: Mrs Cowley (email@example.com) and Miss Kelleway (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cost: Our price is approx. £130 (this may vary dependent on the number of participants). This is very cheap and heavily subsidised; it costs the school approx. £250 and other local schools charge this amount or more.